13 November 2009

Call of Duty and Gaming News, 13 November 2009


For all the melee Timmies out there...

Well, I finished the single player campaign. I got POed enough that, for the final mission, I ramped down the difficulty to Recruit to get past the point where I got stuck. The reviews were right about the ending; it's open-ended (as in Halo 2 open-ended) to guarantee a sequel in 2 years. Overall, the campaign in MW2 doesn't rise to the level of the original CoD4: Modern Warfare. There are some astonishing visuals that will really stick in your mind long after you've finished the game. But there's nothing as awesomely cinematic about the finale of MW2 as there was in MW.


Don't get me wrong. It's legions better than Halo 3: ODST as a single player experience. But if you were looking for some sort of closure, forget it. And have I mentioned how little I like mini-games like "repeatedly press this button to keep the Nazi from bashing your skull in" which featured in other CoD games? Bashing a button until my finger gets tired isn't my idea of fun. It's a really good game. But there's no way it could live up to the hype it had going for months and months. And, like Halo 3: ODST, the overall package includes some nice Spec Ops action, and great multiplayer "right out of the box", as Fourzerotwo is wont to say.


Is that enough? The jury is still out. I enjoyed the single player, but I was disappointed by the repetition of stale CoD formulas. The storyline was intriguing, but overly complex. Events in the single player sometimes edged on breaking one's suspension of disbelief. Some characters which seemingly got a big build-up prior to the launch did little in the story somehow, and some characters were very, very Hollywood stereotype...

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker