14 December 2009

Call of Duty and Gaming News, 14 December 2009


Just don't do it. Think of the kittens!

   Modern Warfare 2 is the game to beat in 2010, it seems. A lot of contenders are getting into the fray. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is in beta. The gameplay vids are all over YouTube, and they look pretty impressive. Medal of Honor is getting a reboot, and it's born again hard. The Spike VGA awards trailer looked amazing, and, as noted here, CoD4ish enough to make me take notice. (OTOH, the Rogue Warrior trailer looked really good to me, too...) I haven't played Battlefield yet, tho I've bought a used copy. I'll probably give that a try after the holidays. But Medal of Honor, I'm going to buy sight unseen, and I'll tell you why. I played Allied Assault, and liked that except for that sniperville section where I actually gave up on the game. I remember vividly not being able to take one step in any direction without a zing! from an invisible sniper rocking my FOV and turning it red. As a comment on one review said: "Nobody has said a damn thing about the terrible AI, major clipping problems, and snipers/sniper rifles with nazi's yeilding super human vision and accuracy."  It was the current crew at Infinity Ward that cooked that infamous level up, and, since they're not doing the new Medal of Honor, that makes it a big plus in its favor.
   In the Fudzilla link below, it seems Infinity Ward's sense of entitlement knows no bounds. They presumed they'd sweep the Spike Video Game awards, I guess. There's no doubt that the multiplayer is really, really good, and they deservedly won Multiplayer Title of the Year. But "Game of the Year"? Hype of the Year, maybe. The weakness of the Modern Warfare 2 single player campaign is what kept it out of contention. Infinity Ward also did a total Pearl Harbor on PC mappers and modders by telling them 3 weeks before release that Modern Warfare 2 was essentially cutting them off at the ankles. It's not good PR to publicly piss off a small but vocal group of gamers. And, of course, it didn't help that the multiplayer was loaded with a lot of big, nasty, probably would have been found on a public beta-type bugs. But, as IW said, they didn't need a public beta. Heh. On to the links:

More Gaming Links:

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker