05 June 2010

Morning Vent, 5 June 2010

Holly Hunter takes down a deer...


    Being laid up sucks. But I got cheered up nicely yesterday by the nice emails I received from my friends Roseanne and Rose as well as a nice get-well card from Hizzoner Bob Phillips. Thanks, guys! I really appreciated the prayers and good wishes!
    Since I'm forced to spend a lot of time on the couch with my leg elevated (and this is a lot less fun than it sounds, believe me), I'm watching a lot of rented DVDs. Reibo introduced me to the Saving Grace series with Holly Hunter. I was skeptical of the series, avoiding it since its debut in '07 due to its "Highway to Heaven" style TV ads. In fact, the series is tightly plotted, cunningly written, and graced (no pun intended) with some astoundingly talented actors. As a long-time fallen Catholic, the show struck a chord with me. It's an amazing show - police drama, interpersonal melodrama, and religious supernatural thriller. With its heavy use of symbolism and foreshadowing, Saving Grace reminds me strongly of The Sopranos - except that tantalizing plot threads on Saving Grace don't disappear without any resolution. Check it out.

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker