24 February 2012

Morning Vent, 24 February 2012

GungalTM of the Day
 Space Princess GungalsTM don't fret about trigger finger discipline...

    As this auto-posts on the HQ, the second work night is over, and I'm halfway home to my beloved Effie!! Lord, I can't wait to go home to her!! The long week is usually a trial, but this week seems longer than most, for sure. We had a wonderful weekend, but bills have to be paid, so we have to work when we can. I'm half way done, and my Pretty Gal has a 12 hour work day ahead of her today!! But, regardless, on Sunday morning, I'll be rocketing back home to my beloved Sweet Gal!! I love you, my honey!! I'll be home on Sunday.
     Had quite a bit of insomnia yesterday, unfortunately. I woke up a couple of hours after going to sleep, and I tossed and turned but wasn't able to get back to sleep. Finally, I kinda gave up and got showered and shaved. That semed to relax me enough that I was able to lie down and doze off until around 4PM, about 2 hrs past my usual wake up time.
     Today's non-gaming news links have a couple of Star Wars-related items. My beloved wife and I are huge Star Wars fans, and we always have been. As a long-time fan of SF in all media, I've always had a serious passion for the Star Wars universe, if not all of the things George Lucas has done with it. Back when the original film, still called just 'Star Wars', rather than 'Episode IV: A New Hope', I read the novelization of the movie and really enjoyed it. At the time, I didn't know that tho it was marketed as being authored by George Lucas, it was actually written by Donald F. Glut
    After seeing all the Star Wars movies multiple times over the years, I can't help but think that George Lucas got so big that no one (except a lot of ticked off fans) ever has/had the balls to tell him when he's screwing up. The elements of the Star Wars universe - light sabers, Imperial Storm Troopers, the Sith, the Force, Jedi Knights - are cool beyond words. Yet, Lucas can't seem to get those things to stay cool, especially in the latter trilogy. The Jedi are turned into ineffectual bureaucrats... the Force turns out to be some kind of hereditary blood parasite... the Sith, if Darth Maul is any indication, are menacing only when they're lucky since they're killable by a mere Jedi student, and everyone knows Storm Troopers can't hit the broad side of a space barn. 
    I get it, I really do. Star Wars is Lucas' homage to Flash Gordon. And the Star Wars movies successfully echo those now cheesy classic comics and serials very well. Ever notice that the Star Wars communicator sounds from Star Wars Episodes 1-3 are the exact sound of the video phones from the Flash Gordon serials of the 1930s? It's true. 
    But something is seriously wrong when a ultra-crappy character like Jar Jar Binks decides the fate of an entire Galaxy while about a zillion 'wise' Jedis just stand around looking stupid. Truly. I love Star Wars. I thought being a Jedi would be the coolest thing ever. But I just don't have the midichlorians in me. Thank God. Moving on...

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker